April 5, 2011

Where does Democracy come from?

GET OUT AND VOTE IN THE CANADIAN FEDERAL ELECTION ON MAY 2!!!! 

There I have done my civic duty.

I figured I would post two pictures relating to democracy today, as it seems to be a rather important topic in Canada this month. Plus, I am teaching all my Socials 11 students about the Canadian government and it is making me happy and sad to be a Canadian. I am happy that we are able to vote in free elections but also sad that events like the exclusion of the Green Party from the debates and screening and evicting from rallies is happening in our glorious country. 

I love Canada, and I wear my pride on my sleeve. I admit that I get emotional when I hear the anthem being played or watching highlights from the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. Anybody who knows me can vouch for this. I absolutely love Canada and could not imagine living anywhere else in the world. I tell this to my classes all the time and I hope they realize the potential that Canada has, especially if young generations like myself and my students work to make our world right again. Erase the pain, save the environment and be the best person you can be. Our countries best years are still ahead of us. The youth of today can make the 21st century, Canada's century.

Anyways, these pictures were taken in 2005 as Cam and I made our way across Europe. I thought that pictures representing the birth place of democracy were very appropriate as the future of our country is decided in the next month.

The photos were taken with a basic point and shoot camera and although not perfect, I love and treasure the results. So get out there and shoot, it does not matter the camera. 


Cameron Cotton-O'Brien looking thoughtful as he looks out over Athens.

The Parthenon in Athens.

No comments:

Post a Comment