April 6, 2011

Philosophy of Sport

We have our second ultimate frisbee game today and so I thought I would post a picture of a field for inspiration. I am on my lunch break and the students aren't harassing me, so I get to spread some inspiration. Below is a picture of a football field in Calgary. My Dad did all the lighting for this field and when you view it at night it is an amazing place. Great job Dad.

So as i tell my players, there are two reasons to play sports. First, you love the game. Second, you want to win and push yourself to be the best that you can.



Vince Lombardi said it best when he stated that "Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing..."There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game, and that's first place… "I don't say these things because I believe in the "brute" nature of man or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle — victorious."

So everyday at practice we work hard, the kids get corrected constantly and told how they can improve. Never tell an athlete they suck, tell them they need improvement and there is no end to what they can achieve. If you place limits on students they will never become better. Secondly, although we work hard we have fun. If you are having fun and working hard then you will ultimately be successful. Having fun comes from finding what you love and pursuing it until then end.

So enjoy the picture and find what you love and succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment