April 3, 2011

Sunday's Scrutiny

This week was a great week, absolutely great week for running. This was a speed week and so that is why the weekly mileage is down. On tuesday I joined my young track athletes in a speed workout. We did 6 x 400 metres on the track. 20 minutes warm-up and a small cool-down. They were fast and even though I train for ultra-marathons, doing speed works makes you faster overall.

I followed that up with two 10k fartlek runs on thursday and saturday. A fartlek is where you run fast, then, slow then fast for a predetermined distance or time. The name sounds funny but they make you a lot faster. The week ended with a nice slow recovery run as I get ready for a big week coming up. It is only two weeks until the Vancouver Sun Run. Although I'm not treating it like I  would a normal race I am still going for a decent time. I am not tapering as much as I would for a normal race.

This week was also great teaching wise. The new units were absolutely great and I was able to help numerous students after school and during lunch with some hard to understand concepts. IT feels absolutely amazing to help people and recognize that they begin to understand what you are talking about. So a great week at school ,this whole teaching thing is really shaping up nicely. And, after reading another blog over at Smile with your Heart, I have created a bucket list and currently in the process and finalizing my life goals. Also I am intrigued about making a digital pictorial goal board. Seems really motivation and a good way to take perspective on what is important in your life.

Weekly total: 32 km
Year total: 160 km

No comments:

Post a Comment