February 20, 2011

Running around Stanley

Why is Stanley Park in Vancouver one of the best places to go for a run? That is a good question.

First of all it is February 20 and I ran in shorts and a t-shirt today while doing a 12km loop. Only in Vancouver is it comfortable enough to do that in February.

Second, it is a run that is only 20 minutes by train from my apartment, but, when you start running it feels like your are totally separated from the city lifestyle. You get views of the forest on one side and the ocean, mountains and beach on the other side. I just love running around Stanley Park.

Today was week three of my re-entry into running and it was the second long run of my program. Today was a 12 km loop and it was magnificent. I felt great the whole time and could have kept going, but that could have brought on injury. I kept up 6 min/km pace and felt great the whole way through. I feel much better now than I did starting out three weeks ago. My legs feel better and my lungs seem capable of handling longer distances.

When running on the seawall it is always an adventure. Today it was extremely busy so it was fun dodging strollers, dogs and bikes on the wrong path. It makes a run much more interesting. I don't have much to say other than get yourself to Vancouver and experience running the Stanley Park seawall.

It was a great weekend of running and relaxation and I look forward to a challenging week ahead. I hope everyone out there enjoys there week and finds time to go on a run or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment