February 13, 2011

Long run #1

Today was the first Sunday run of my training program. It was also a rain free day in Vancouver (we have actually had many lately) and I took full advantage. I skipped all the Olympic celebration activity downtown and went running. I ran around the Langara golf course today. It is a nice 3km loop, very flat but often crowded. So I have to constantly dodge walkers and dogs pooping in the middle of the trail. But, it is close to my house and a pretty place to run. 

While it may not sound impressive I have adopted a baby steps program. I gradually increase the mileage every week until I reach maximum mileage right before the big races. I do not want injuries so I am starting out small and working my way up. I went for a nice leisurely 6 km run today at 6:00/km pace. That will be my pace for Sunday long runs, which will slowly work up to 32 km. I remember when I was running track I would never have believed that 6km would be a short-long run. But that is the shortest Sunday run I will ever run, from now on.

My breakfast of champions today was blueberry pancakes, orange juice and water. Basic recipe of Aunt Jemima mix, eggs and mil. Nothing like carbs and fruit to start the day off right. Around midday I had a bagel and some tortilla shells and by the time I went on my run at 3:30 I felt great. I had tons of energy and could have done another 6km, but my program is there for a reason.

Enjoy your Monday and I will report back later. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment